How To Descale Breville Bambino & Bambino Plus
The water used to brew espresso causes mineral buildup inside your Breville Bambino machine. While not toxic, this buildup can impact the machine’s water flow, temperature and performance. It can affect the taste of your shot of espresso too. Descaling Bambino Plus and Bambino machines removes mineral deposits to extend the life of your unit. Keep reading to find instructions on how to descale Breville Bambino machines using a commercial descaling solution.
How Often To Descale Breville Bambino Models
In addition to regular cleaning, a good rule of thumb is that a you should descale your Barista Bambino or Bambino Plus every 3 months. The Bambino Plus will alert you that it is time to descale when the 1 CUP and STEAM buttons and 2 CUP button flash alternately for 15 seconds. If you have the regular Bambino model, only the 2 CUP button will flash.
You need to descale every 3 months whether you are using filtered water, bottled water or tap water with a low to normal mineral count. You will need to clean your machine more often if your tap has “hard water.” That means it contains higher level of minerals. If you are not sure about the level of minerals in your water, you can always get a low-cost water testing kit.
Can You Descale Breville Bambino With Vinegar?
You should not use water and vinegar solution to clean Breville Bambino or Bambino Plus machines. White vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid. This type of acid can wear down stainless steel and cause your machine to leak. Plus, vinegar cannot remove oils left by used espresso beans.
Instead, the best way to deep clean your espresso maker is with one of the below commercial cleaning solutions. They have safe and effective types of acids that won’t damage your machine. You may also want to stock up on cleaning tablets for regular care.
Breville Bambino Descaling Solutions
The Impresa descaler is a top selling cleaner. It has citric and sulfamic acids. Both of these are gentle on metal. Each pack contains two bottles. Each bottle has enough for two uses.
Essential Values Descaler & Cleaner
The Essential Values cleaning solution has a citric acid that is both odorless and powerful. Each bottle is good for two uses. A two pack will provide four doses. That’s a year supply if you clean your machine every three months.
Urnex Dezcal Powder Descaler
The Urnex Powder is a descaler that you can use with your Breville Bambino. It is odorless and effective. Add 1 oz of the powder to 32 oz of hot water (a quarter gallon of water) to create a solution.
How To Descale Breville Bambino Plus
- Empty the drip tray and then return it to the machine.
- Fill the tank to the DESCALE line with fresh water. Add your solution, making sure to follow the directions on the pack.
- Place a large cup or bowl that is at least 2 liters or 68 fl o on the drip tray under the portafilter and steam wand.
- Press the 1 CUP and STEAM buttons at the same time to turn the Breville Bambino off. Give the machine a few minutes to cool down.
- Now press both the 1 CUP and STEAM buttons together for 5 seconds to enter descale mode. When these buttons light up, the machine is ready to start descaling. Press either of the two buttons to begin the cycle. They will start to alternately flash.
- When the tank has been emptied of the water and solution mix, the descale mode will pause. Remove the water tank and refill it with fresh water only to the MAX line. Empty the large container and place both the container and the reservoir back to their original positions.
- When the machine is ready for the rinse cycle, the 1 CUP and STEAM buttons will illuminate. Press either to begin. When the rinse cycle is done, the buttons will alternately flash and then the machine will go into standby mode.
- Remove the container. Then thoroughly rinse the drip tray and the water tank before adding them back to the machine.
You can also find detailed descaling instructions for the Breville Bambino Plus in the user manual.
Breville Bambino Descale Instructions
- Empty the drip tray and then return it to the machine
- Fill the water tank to the DESCALE line and then add your descaling agent, following the instructions on the pack
- Place a large 2 liter container under the group head and steam wand
- Press the 2 Cup and Steam buttons together for 5 seconds to start the descale cycle. The 2 Cup button will begin to flash
- The descale mode will pause once the water and solution mix in the tank has been used up
- Remove the water tank and rinse it well. Then fill it to the MAX line with clean water only and return it to the machine
- Take the large container, empty it and return it under the head and steam wand
- Press the 2 Cup button to start the rinse cycle. When the rinse cycle is over, the machine will go to ready mode. Be sure to refill your water reservoir before using the brewer.
You can also find descaling instructions for the Breville Bambino in the user manual.
get our latest guides, reviews, recipes and more for your coffee machine in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing. Check your email and confirm your subscription.
Something went wrong.