How To Run A Delonghi Dedica Descale Cycle The Right Way
The water used to brew coffee causes lime scale and calcium mineral buildup inside your Delonghi Dedica machine. While not toxic, these can block the espresso maker’s water flow and impact temperature and overall performance. It can affect the taste of your espresso too. Descaling is the name of the process that removes these minerals to extend the life of your Delonghi espresso machine. Keep reading to find Delonghi Dedica descale instructions for every model.
Delonghi Dedica Descale Frequency
The steam light on your Delonghi Dedica espresso maker will turn orange when it is time to descale. You will still be able to brew espresso after this light has come on, but you should descale as soon as possible. However, you don’t have to wait for this light to turn on. A good rule of thumb is that a you should descale your coffee maker after 3 months or 90 uses, whichever comes first.
This is true if you are using filtered water, bottled water or tap water with a low to normal mineral count. You should descale your Delonghi Dedica more often if your tap has “hard water,” meaning it contains higher level of minerals. If you are not sure about the level of minerals in your water, you can get a low-cost water testing kit. This will allow you to set the water hardness level on your Dedica machine so that the descale alert activates at the right time.
Can You Descale Delonghi Dedica With Vinegar?
You should not use water and vinegar for descaling Delonghi Dedica machines. White vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid and apple cider has 5-6%. This type of acid can wear down metal and cause leaks. Plus, vinegar cannot remove oils left by used espresso beans.
Instead, the best way to descale a Dedica espresso machine is with a descaling agent made by Delonghi. It has safe and effective types of cleansers, like lactic or citric acid, that won’t damage your brewer. Using DIY solutions to descale your De’Longhi may damage your machine and void your warranty.
Delonghi Dedica Descale Solution
The Ecodecalk descaler is the official espresso machine descaling solution from Delonghi. It is made in Italy with high quality, plant-based lactic acid that is both safe and effective in cleaning your machine. The ingredients are natural and fully biodegradable. A 16.90 fl oz bottle has enough solution for up to 5 uses. Smaller bottles may be considered more convenient because they are already portioned for a single use.
Delonghi Dedica Descale Instructions
Once you have your Delonghi solution, follow these simple steps on how to descale your Dedica machine. The same instructions apply whether you have the regular Dedidca manual, deluxe or arte model. Note that it takes about 30 minutes to finish.
- Turn the machine on.
- Empty the water tank and remove the water filter. Pour the solution into the tank. Follow the steps on the pack for the right ratio of water to descaling solution.
- Place a container that can hold 50 oz or about 6 cups of water under the hot water spout and boiler outlet.
- Press and hold the steam button for at least 10 seconds. The lights will start to blink in a sequence. This means that you are in the settings menu.
- Turn the steam dial to the steam / water setting. Press the steam button.
- The descale cycle will now start automatically. Your unit will sound like it is starting and stopping. That is the normal process. During the process, you should occasionally turn the steam dial to release a small amount of descaler from the boiler outlet.
- When the descaling process is done, the steam light will blink orange.
- Next, you have to run a rinse cycle to remove any residue from the solution. Start with the water tank. Rinse it and fill it with fresh water only. Put the tank back. Empty the container with the used solution and return it under the hot water spout and boiler outlet.
- Turn the steam knob to the steam / hot water setting. Press the steam button to start the rinse. During the process, you should occasionally turn the steam dial to release a small amount of water from the boiler outlet.
- When the tank is empty, turn the steam knob to the circle position. Refill the tank with fresh water. Your machine is ready for use.