A Simple Nespresso Essenza Mini Descaling Guide
The water used to brew your espresso pods contains minerals that cause limescale to build up inside your Nespresso Essenza Mini. Descaling removes those minerals. If left untreated, this can have a negative impact on the temperature and taste of your coffee as well as the machine’s water flow. Keep reading to learn more about Nespresso Essenza Mini descaling, with step by step instructions. To begin the process, you will need a descaling solution kit like one of those I review below.
- How Often To Descale Nespresso Machines
- Why Descaling Nespresso With Vinegar Is A Bad Idea
- Nespresso Essenza Mini Descaling Solutions
- Nespresso Essenza Mini Descaling Steps
- How To Exit Essenza Mini Descaling Mode
How Often To Descale Nespresso Machines
In addition to daily cleaning, Nespresso recommends you descale your Essenza Mini every 3 months or 300 capsules, whichever comes first. If your tap has “hard water,” meaning it contains higher level of minerals, then you should clean your espresso maker more frequently. If you are not sure about the level of minerals in your water, you can get a low-cost water testing kit.
It takes around 15 to 20 minutes to finish the process. It cannot be stopped so be sure to start only once you have all of the supplies you need and have enough time to finish it.
Why Descaling Nespresso With Vinegar Is A Bad Idea
Nespresso warns that you should NOT descale your Essenza Mini with vinegar. White vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid. This specific type of acid can wear down metal and cause your unit to leak. As a result, using vinegar to clean your Nespresso can void the warranty.
Instead of damaging your machine by using vinegar, you can use one of these descaling kits to maintain your Nespresso Essenza Mini. These kits contain safer and effective types of cleansing acids.
Nespresso Essenza Mini Descaling Solutions
Nespresso Descaling Solution
This is the official descaling solution kit made by Nespresso. Nespresso strongly recommends only using this descaler. It is compatible with all models, including the Essenza Mini. This solution will gently eliminate the lime scale that has built up in your machine. Each pack contains 2 kits, so you’ll get two total uses out of it.
Impresa Coffee Machine Descaler
The Impresa descaler is a top selling coffee machine cleaner. It uses citric and sulfamic acids. Both are gentle on metal and aluminum. A pack has two bottles, each enough solution for two uses.
De’Longhi EcoDecalk Descaler
The De’Longhi Descaler is another Amazon customer favorite. It is made in Italy with high quality, plant-based lactic acid. This solution can be used to solve a descaling issue with any coffee machine, including those made by Breville. A 16.90 fl oz bottle contains enough solution for up to 5 uses.
Nespresso Essenza Mini Descaling Steps
To clean your machine, you need a descaling solution. Your manual has steps on how to descale. You may also see pdf pages 18-19 in the Nespresso Essenza Mini manual.
Prepare The Machine
- Open the lever to eject any used capsule. Empty the drip tray and used capsule container.
- Add the solution and water to the tank, following the instructions on your kit. For the Nespresso solution, and add one packet of liquid and then about 0.6L of water until you reach the MAX line.
- Place a 1L container under the coffee outlet. Turn the machine on.
Start The Descale Cycle
- Press and hold both the Espresso and Lungo buttons for 5 seconds to enter descaling mode. Both buttons will blink.
- Press the Lungo button only and the descaling process will start. Wait until the water tank is empty.
- Pour the contents of the container back into the water tank. Repeat steps 4 and 5.
Rinse The Machine
- Empty and rinse the water tank thoroughly. Fill it with fresh drinking water only.
- Perform a rinse cycle to remove any residue from inside the machine. To do this, repeat steps 4 and
Complete The Process
- Press and hold both the Espresso and Lungo buttons for 5 seconds to exit descale mode.
- Empty the drip base.
How To Exit Essenza Mini Descaling Mode
A lot of people forget one of the last steps which is to exit descaling mode. That’s why they get confused when the light stays on. To exit descaling mode, you have to hold the espresso and lungo buttons. For the Essenza Mini, you must hold them down for five seconds. When you release the buttons, the lights should turn steady. It could take up to 25 seconds.
If the light won’t go off, open and close the machine. If it stays on, you may need to reset your Nespresso.
get our latest guides, reviews, recipes and more for your coffee machine in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing. Check your email and confirm your subscription.
Something went wrong.