How Do You Descale A Bosch Tassimo Coffee Machine?
The water used to brew your coffee has minerals that build up inside your Bosch Tassimo machine. They are not toxic but they can impact the flow, temperature and performance of your machine. They can affect the taste of your cup of coffee too. Your Bosch Tassimo will alert you that it is time to remove this mineral buildup by flashing a red light. This process is called “descaling“. When done often, this can help extend the life of your brewer. Keep reading to learn how to descale your Tassimo coffee maker.
How Often To Descale Tassimo Brewers
Tassimo devices will have a light that turns on when it is time to descale. For most models, it will be the bottom light. It will either look like the spraying icon above or it will say ‘calc’.
However, you don’t need to wait for the descaling indicator light to come on. A good rule of thumb is that you should descale your Bosch coffee machine after 3 months or after 90 uses, whichever comes first. This is true if you are using filtered, bottled or tap water with a low to normal mineral count.
If your tap has “hard water,” meaning it contains higher level of minerals, then you should clean your brewer more often. If you are not sure about the level of minerals in your water, you can always get a low-cost water testing kit.
Can You Descale A Bosch Tassimo With Vinegar Or Another DIY Solution?
You should not clean your Tassimo machine with any type of vinegar. White vinegar contains 5-8% acetic acid and apple cider has 5-6%. This type of acid can wear down metal and cause your machine to leak. Vinegar is also not effective in removing oils left by coffee grounds.
Instead, the best way to clean your coffee maker is with one of these tablets. They contain safe and effective types of cleaning acids that won’t damage your machine.
Tassimo Descaling Solutions
The official Bosch tablets are a safe, easy and effective way to clean your machine. Each one is powerful enough to remove any buildup of limescale and calcium deposits. Just use two tablets during each cleaning cycle. Each pack contains four tablets, so enough for two uses. For most users, that is a six month supply.
Essential Values is a popular brand of kitchen cleaning products sold online. The Essential Values tablets can be used with your Tassimo. It is made in the USA with a formula that is quick, safe and effective in removing mineral and limescale. Each pack contains 12 tablets, which is enough for six uses.
This pack of 20 tablets will give you a total of 10 uses for your Tassimo. It is made by the same company that makes one of the best-selling liquid descaling solutions on Amazon. They work with all virtually all coffee and espresso machines.
How To Descale Bosch Tassimo Coffee Machines
You can descale your Bosch Tassimo coffee maker in just 10 simple steps to get the flashing red light to turn off. It will take about 20 minutes to 30 minutes complete the cycle so be sure to start it only when you have enough time.
- Fill the water tank with fresh water. Add two tablets and make sure to fully submerge them.
- Take the Service T Disc, usually found in storage along the bottom of the machine. Open up the brew head.
- Place the disc with the barcode facing down where you would usually put a coffee pod.
- Put the water tank with the dissolved tablets back in place.
- Put a container that is at least 500 ml where you usually put your cup.
- Push and hold the button for five seconds to begin the cycle. When it is complete, the light will turn orange.
- Empty the 500 ml container that now contains the solution. Place it back on the cup holder.
- Rinse and clean the water tank to remove any traces of the solution. Refill it with fresh drinking water up to the max line.
- Briefly press the START / STOP button to start a cleaning cycle. This will flow the fresh water through to remove any remaining solution. Repeat this cycle 3 or 4 times and empty the container in between each one.
- After the last cleaning is done, open the brew head and remove the cleaning disc. Put it back in the storage.
- Refill the water tank with fresh water up to the max line. Your Tassimo is now ready for use!
Multiple Flashing Lights on Tassimo
If you ever see both the “descale” and “fill water tank” red lights start flashing simultaneously on your Bosch Tassimo, it means there is a machine error. You should use the ON / OFF switch to turn the unit off. Wait for five minutes and then turn it on again. If the lights stopped flashing, you are all set. However, if the red lights will start flashing again, you will need to contact Tassimo support.
get our latest guides, reviews, recipes and more for your coffee machine in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing. Check your email and confirm your subscription.
Something went wrong.