Why Is My Nespresso Blinking? A Guide To Troubleshooting Vertuo Flashing Orange or Red Light Error Codes
Nespresso Vertuoline coffee and espresso makers have built in light based alerts. If you see a blinking orange or red light, your Nespresso Vertuo machine needs troubleshooting. For the Vertuo Next, Vertuo and Evoluo, there is an orange light. For the Vertuo Plus or VertuoPlus Deluxe, it will be a red light. This post explains what the Nespresso blinking light error codes mean and how to fix your machine so you can enjoy your cup of coffee again. The same troubleshooting steps will apply to your model whether it is made by De’Longhi or Breville.
- Why Is My Nespresso Blinking? A Guide To Troubleshooting Vertuo Flashing Orange or Red Light Error Codes
- Nespresso Blinking Orange Light Meaning & Troubleshooting For Vertuo Next, Vertuo and Evoluo
- How To Fix Blinking Orange Twice
- How To Fix Blinking Orange 3 Times
- How To Resolve Pulsing Orange Light
- How To Fix Orange Light Blinking Rapidly Twice, Followed By Long Pause
- How To Fix Orange Light That Is On For 1.5 Seconds, Off For 0.5 Seconds
- How To Resolve Orange Light Blinking 5 Times In 10 Seconds
- How To Stop Alternating Orange And White Blinking Light
- For Vertuo Next Owners: Get Maintenance Alerts With The Nespresso App
- Nespresso Red Light Error Codes Troubleshooting For Vertuo Plus and VertuoPlus Deluxe
- How To Fix Steady Red Light
- How To Stop Pulsing Red Light
- How To Resolve Recurring Flashing Red Light
- How To Troubleshoot Blinking Red Light Two Times Then Steady Green
- How To Solve Flashing Red Light Twice Then Steady Orange
- How To Fix Blinking Red Light Two Times Then Blinking Orange
- How To Stop Blinking Then Steady Red Light
- How To Fix Red And Green Light
- Nespresso Blinking Orange Light Meaning & Troubleshooting For Vertuo Next, Vertuo and Evoluo
If the red light alert is on your Aeroccino frother, see our post on why your frother is blinking red.
Nespresso Blinking Orange Light Meaning & Troubleshooting For Vertuo Next, Vertuo and Evoluo
The pattern of the flashing orange light will tell you what kind of troubleshooting is needed. To some people the light may look yellow, but in the user manual it is described as orange. There are 7 Nespresso orange light error codes for the Vertuo Next, Vertuo and Evoluo coffee makers:
|Orange Light Status||Meaning|
|Blinks two times per second||Cleaning needed|
|Blinks three times per second||Descaling or Emptying needed|
|Pulses (fades OFF, then ON)||Cooling down after overheating|
|Blinks twice for 1 second, then long OFF||Machine error|
|On for 1.5 seconds, OFF for 0.5 seconds||Water tank empty|
|Blinks 5 times in 10 seconds||Reset to factory settings|
|Blinks then white for 3 seconds||Descaling needed urgently|
Keep reading to see the steps Nespresso suggests when troubleshooting the Vertuo blinking orange light alerts. You may also read the user manual for your machine: Vertuo Next (pages 29 and 30), Vertuo (pages 20 and 21), or Evoluo (pages 20 and 21). If you have a Vertuo Next that is showing one of these errors and is not working, don’t hesitate to call Nespresso support after trying the steps below. Compared to the Vertuo Plus, the Next is known to have a lot of problems. This includes a mysterious purple light or a solid or blinking white light that often appears a couple days before the machine completely stops working.
How To Fix Blinking Orange Twice
If your Nespresso blinks twice, you need to clean it. Follow these steps:
- Open the head to eject any used capsules. Take a paper towel, dampen it with hot water, and gently run it around the piece that spins on the under side of the open head. Also gently wipe the area around where the coffee capsules sit.
- Empty and rinse the water tank and then fill it with fresh water.
- Rinse the cup support and put a 14 fl oz or larger mug under the coffee spout.
- Empty the capsule container. Return it after you have rinsed with cold water.
- Close the head and put it in the lock position by turning left.
- Start the cleaning cycle by pushing the button 3 times within 2 seconds. It will start flashing and within 2 minutes, water will begin to come out. This will go for about 5 minutes as it pumps through 3 cycles of water.
If it keeps blinking after this, try holding the button down for at least 7 seconds. If it still is flashing, you may want to run the descaling process before calling Nespresso support. The toll free number is 1-800-562-1465.
How To Fix Blinking Orange 3 Times
If your Nespresso Vertuo is flashing orange 3 times, troubleshooting will require you to descale your machine. Descaling mode will remove mineral buildup from the water used to brew your coffee that is blocking water flow. Read my other post for instructions on how to descale your machine. Note you will need to buy a solution.
How To Resolve Pulsing Orange Light
A pulsing orange means that your machine needs to cool down. This can happen after a lot of use. Push the button for 3 seconds to turn it off, then push it again to turn on. Wait 20-60 minutes for it to cool down. If it still pulses after this, then hold the button down for at least 7 seconds to see if it stops.
How To Fix Orange Light Blinking Rapidly Twice, Followed By Long Pause
There could be three different times when the machine could be flashing in this way: during coffee prep, during descaling, emptying or cleaning or during programming volume.
If this happens while you are trying to make a drink, make sure that a new capsule with no damage has been inserted correctly. Next, check that the machine is locked. If the light continues, try inserting a new coffee pod, lock and press the button.
During descaling or cleaning, make sure there is no capsule in the coffee maker and that it is locked. Press and hold the button for 3 seconds to turn the machine off. Then press it again to turn it on. If the light is still there, unplug it from the wall. Wait 10 seconds before plugging it in and then turn it on.
During programming the water volume for your drink, just make sure that the pod is placed correctly.
If your machine won’t stop blinking, you should call support. The toll free number is 1-800-562-1465.
How To Fix Orange Light That Is On For 1.5 Seconds, Off For 0.5 Seconds
If your Vertuo is flashing in this way, it means your water tank is empty or low. Just fill the water reservoir with clean water and push the button to start.
How To Resolve Orange Light Blinking 5 Times In 10 Seconds
This rapidly blinking orange means that you need to do a factory reset. To do this, open the head and eject the capsule. Close the head and leave it in the unlocked position. Push the button 5 times within 3 seconds. It will blink slowly 5 times to confirm that the reset is done.
How To Stop Alternating Orange And White Blinking Light
Once you get this alert, you will only be able to use your brewer a few times before descaling is needed. See my other post on how to descale your Vertuo coffee maker. You will have to buy a cleaning kit.
For Vertuo Next Owners: Get Maintenance Alerts With The Nespresso App
The easiest way to understand what the flashing light error codes on your Vertuo Next means is to use the Nespresso app. The Next is the only Vertuo model that has Bluetooth so it can send alerts to the app saying what the issue is with your unit. Common alerts are:
- Unlocked machine
- Empty water tank
- Eject previous capsule
- Blocked brew unit
- Capsule not recognized
- Electronic error
- Descale needed
How To Connect Nespresso Next Bluetooth
- Once you’ve downloaded the Nespresso app, make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on your device is turned on. Place the phone on top of your machine.
- Open the app, click the machine icon in the top right corner. Follow the next steps.
- When it prompts you to select a Wi-Fi network, choose your network and enter your Wi-Fi password.
- Hit connect and then OK once the connection is made. The machine should say “Connected.”
Nespresso Red Light Error Codes Troubleshooting For Vertuo Plus and VertuoPlus Deluxe
There are 8 different error codes that a Nespresso Vertuo Plus and VertuoPlus Deluxe machine will display with a red light:
|Nespresso Red Light Error Codes||Meaning|
|Pulses (fading OFF, then ON)||Cooling down after overheating|
|Regularly blinks once per second||Error|
|Blinks two times then steady green||Empty water tank or missing capsule|
|Blinks twice then steady orange||Error in special function|
|Blinks two times then blinks orange||Error while special function running|
|Blinks three times every 2 seconds with steady red in between||Head in unknown position|
|Steady left red and right green||Descale|
Keep reading to see the steps Nespresso suggests when troubleshooting the Vertuo Plus machine red light alerts. You may also read the user manual for your machine: Breville models (pages 24-29) or De’Longhi models (pages 24-29).
How To Fix Steady Red Light
If you see a steady red while your VertuoPlus is not running, it needs to cool down. Turn it off, unplug it and wait at least 15 minutes for it to cool. Plug the cord back into the wall. Press the lever down to turn it on. When it has cooled down, it will turn a steady green. If the steady light remains, you should contact support. The toll free number is 1-800-562-1465.
How To Stop Pulsing Red Light
A pulsing red means that your Vertuo Plus is cooling down. Be patient. Once the cool down is done, it will turn a steady green.
How To Resolve Recurring Flashing Red Light
Is the light continuously flashing? Has the head has stopped moving? If so, then you need to remove any obstacles, empty the coffee pod container, and then open or close the head depending on the position it is in.
How To Troubleshoot Blinking Red Light Two Times Then Steady Green
Either your water tank is empty or a capsule is missing from the head. Remove and refill the water tank. Open the head to eject any used capsule and insert a new coffee pod. Close the head and then push the button to start. If this doesn’t work, there may be an airlock that is blocking the water flow. See my related post for tips on how to clear that.
How To Solve Flashing Red Light Twice Then Steady Orange
A flashing red alert means the special functions menu has been enabled. Choose the special function you want (cleaning, reseting, descaling, or emptying) by pushing the lever down.
How To Fix Blinking Red Light Two Times Then Blinking Orange
You may see this alert when a special function is running. You should open the head and eject the capsule. Press the button to restart the function. If you are emptying the system, just remove the water tank.
How To Stop Blinking Then Steady Red Light
Examine the head position if your machine won’t start and the red light blinks 3 times before turning steady. Press the lever up then wait until the head stops moving. If you see any obstacle, remove it. Otherwise, just empty the capsule container then press the lever down to close the head.
How To Fix Red And Green Light
If your VertuoPlus has a light that is red and green, you need to descale. This will remove mineral buildup that may interfere with water flow through your coffee maker. Read my other post for detailed steps on how to descale. You will need to get a solution kit.
get our latest guides, reviews, recipes and more for your coffee machine in your inbox
Thank you for subscribing. Check your email and confirm your subscription.
Something went wrong.